November 30th 2020
This update includes good and bad news – I am sure that everyone welcomes the very good news that the course is able to open from Wednesday December 2nd but the not so good news is that we have been placed in tier 2 where the rules are :
– bars can only open if they are serving substantial meals
– people from different households cannot socialise indoors so seating capacity is significantly reduced.
– alcohol can only be served to somebody having a substantial meal – i.e. not a bar snack which is what our restaurant generally serves
– once someone has finished their substantial meal they are unable to order another alcoholic drink
– rule of 6 applies outside, subject to social distancing, so golfing buddies could sit together outside but, individually, could not order a drink if not eating a substantial meal
To my mind this will severely limit our opportunity to open the bar or be able to offer a viable bar and/or restaurant service so, sadly, we will NOT open either the restaurant or bar until the next announcement scheduled for the 16th when I hope that the local area might be moved to tier 1.
My reasoning for this is as follows :
– during the weekdays we are unlikely to get enough demand to open the restaurant which will mean that the bar cannot serve alcoholic drinks.
– during the week there would be little demand for substantial meals
– the outside temperature is likely to deter people sitting outside
– not being able to socialise indoors with anyone from a different household will put people off from coming into the clubhouse
– for the theme nights I believe the fact that diners cannot socialise with friends from different households would limit the demand.
This is very disappointing and I hope that we can review matters and be able to open prior to Christmas if the restrictions allow.
Stuart is planning to open the pro shop on a daily basis and will open the changing rooms for access to the toilets whilst he is on site.
Please note that golf can take place in accordance with the guidelines that existed prior to the latest lockdown. And that a separate note will be circulated regarding competitive golf (winter league / Cornthwaite Bowl / Turkey Trots) .
As more information is released I will send out further updates
Best wishes to all
Chairman, Ramsey Golf and Bowls Club